1. I remember when I was a lad, Times were hard and things were bad
2. Now I remember after work, Mama would call in all of us
1. But there's a silver lining behind every cloud
2. You could hear us singin' for a country mile
E A E
1. Just poor people that all we were, Tryin' to make a livin' out of blackland earth
2. Now little brother has done gone on, But I'll rejoin him in a song
1. But we'd get in a family circle singin' out loud.
2. We'll be together again up yonder in a while.
Daddy sang bass, mama sang tenor
Me and little brother would join right in there
Singin' seems to help a troubled soul
One of these days and it won't be long, I'll rejoin them in a song
I'm gonna join the family circle at the throne.
No, the circle won't be broken, Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye
Daddy'll sing bass, mama'll sing tenor
Me and little brother will join right in there
In the sky, Lord, in the sky.